Saturday 30 November 2013

22nd of September - Evanton - Bonar Bridge - Lairg - Shinness Lodge

Day started windy. I set off quite early, with an impressive sunrise. After couple of miles, the road started to get more and more empty. Day was nice, sunny and warm. I passed a dead owl and thought how many dead birds, foxes, and other creatures I saw during my trip..

Between Dalmavie and Bonar Bridge route turned into a desolate area with rough, wild hills on both side of the road. it was almost car-less and it felt rather overwhelming. Villages I passed were all very basic with loads of places shut down and deteriorating.

After Bonar Bridge I headed towards Lairg. there was a lot to climb, one hill after another. I managed without taking Laika out of the trailer!

I decided to stay on a tiny campsite after clocking in 35 miles. I started to feel a bit homesick in the morning and over the day the feeling grew in me. In the evening, I was feeling very lonely and was thinking about the ones who are close to me and if they think about me..Its strange how much solitude brings up the memories of love and warmth. I played harmonica to cheer myself up and to bring up some faces.

The owner of the campsite was an old lady who cherged £5 for a night and was one of the most generous people I met when travelling. I received a bag of food as she was a bit concerned about my food supplies for the next day - I made mistake thinking that along 55 miles, there must be something to buy food from...well, I was very wrong, there was none!

The night was extremely windy and my tent was torn in all directions..it was one of those nights when one thinks, 'what on earth I'm doing here, alone' (or rather with a dog..in a trailer).

 Very impressive sunrise



Owl. Unfortunately dead...



Just me..



After desolate miles, rainbow stretches over the sky and the landscape opens into lower situated green pastures 


 Stormy sky that never turned into a storm



 Happy pooch :)



 Some people put dogs in a trailer, some turned them into a sculpture ;)



 No coffee for me in this place..



 Cosy, cosy



 A bit less idyllic Scottish landscape


 Tired Laika



 Desolate and dark..
































Remote Campsite for a £5 :)





No comments:

Post a Comment